Wound and Ulcer Products @ DermatologistRx
Wound Care Suggestions
Standard Care for Wounds, Excision, Cuts or Abrasions
Note: Ulcer diagnosis and care should
always be done in conjunction with a physician. Use Products only as
directed on the product package.
- Always, wash hands before and after treating a wound, abrasion, scrape or cut.
- Maintenance of a moist wound environment is standard care for wounds scrapes and cuts.
- Infection control maybe controlled with topical antibiotics such as Polysporin. If the infection persists see your physician.
- Agents used for cleansing should be nontoxic. Normal saline is commonly used. Hydrogen peroxide is used less as it may interfere with wound healing.
- Nutritional support includes eating a balance diet. For Diabetics this includes blood glucose control and adequate caloric intake.
- Dermavite contains all vitamins necessary for healing to occur.
- DermatologistRx has a complete line of post peel and post laser resurfacing products.
Standard Care for Chronic Skin Ulcers
- Always wash hands before and after treating ulcers.
- Gently wash the ulcers with soap and water or normal saline. Agents used for cleansing should be nontoxic.
- Removal of necrotic or infected tissue. This is called debridement and when performed should be done by a physician. Enzymatic debriders can be used
to help remove minor amounts of necrotic tissue.
- Off-loading or relief of pressure. Special fitting shoes, casting of the ulcerated foot are helpful in diabetic foot
ulcers and frequent turning of a bedridden patient can prevent bedsores or decubitus ulcers.
- Maintaining a moist wound environment is standard care of all chronic skin ulcers.
- Compression therapy for venous stasis ulcers with an Unna Boots or other compression bandage can be helpful.
- Infection control maybe controlled with topical antibiotics such as Polysporin or systemic anti microbial therapy.
- Nutritional support, including blood glucose control for diabetic ulcer patients and adequate caloric intake is important.
- Dermavite contains all vitamins necessary for healing to occur in an ulcer.
Skin Care Glossary A-M
Skin Care Glossary N-Z